Friday, October 18, 2013

Pot Pies, Pumpkin Pies, Sweet Potatoe Pies, Apple Pies Oh My!

It is the season for delicious pies, chili's, and hot chocolate milk. Who doesn't enjoy laying under a blanket, watching a movie and enjoying a small slice of pie with something hot to drink every now and then? Me? I take 3/4 of the pie and leave a slice.

On a serious note I just got an order for a Chicken Pot Pie which I will be making for Monday. I have made a few changes here and there for the recipe. Granted it is not one of the hardest recipes to do out there, but putting the right combination inside and paring it with the right crust will make your taste buds sing and your pallet will cry every now and then after making it eat one of the frozen pot pies that you can buy at your local supermarket.

I am Stephanie, the savory part of Kicken Confections. I am the one in charge of making the chicken and the stock for the dog treats, and as you read earlier, I also enjoy making Pot Pies which in reality is the only thing I can put in the oven that involves a pie crust and it won't catch on fire. I also enjoy and have come to learned that I am also pretty good at making breads. The rest, I leave it to my partner.

I will be taking pictures of the pie as it is constructed and maybe putting in a recipe or giving a few hints on how to make your own. It all comes down to technique and that is what separates a home baker from a pastry chef, or a cook from a Chef.

Technique in the Culinary world is everything. That's how you get everything cooking evenly. For example, cutting an onion. If you cut an onion and the pieces are not as even (rough chop), you will notice how some brown faster than others and eventually you will have pieces of burn bitter onion and pieces that haven't fully cooked. Now have it all cut into uniform pieces, everything will brown up evenly.( That is one of the tricks to French Onion Soup for those soup lovers out there.)

Did you know it can take hours to get the perfect caramelized onion? (Hm, second trick?)
Constantly stirring will stop the item from caramelizing and the process restarts making it take longer.

I think we are on a role. If you want to find out more, read our next blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment